Friday, November 16, 2012

The Small Town Mentality


 Sara says I have a small town mentality; that I love to reminisce and reflect of the past and draw conclusions.I told her that times might have changed but certain truths remain relevant till this day.

 Take Kong Kong as an example. He went to school for a mere 3 years of his life but his acumen in many aspects of life are worth emulating. His first principle for living; save more and be cautious of your spending habits. I know this sounds old but it is a good one to keep. He is frugal and seldom will he give in to wrong figures unless he chooses to; like giving his children little gifts or when he walks the streets of the town to buy food. He buys in abundance feeding us as though there is no tomorrow.
Look a the way he puts his hands together. That is a thinking man; he thinks wisely and considers a lot of issues.A nonagenarian, the Hakka Association of the town still deem him fit to head the organization. They value his decisions and solutions. What do they see in him? His wisdom, integrity and reliability.
Kong Kong loathes sloth.His basics of living include going to bed at the right time and waking up early. He says it's good that I am a teacher.When I was younger he would often comment ; " Oh you are back from school? some people are still in bed..." Then he would say ..." Good; you have a pension to see you through in life..." He is thrilled at the very idea that I will be fed by the government till I close my eyes.

Kong says one must work hard when young. He is most afraid that the youths waste their time away by not making hay when the sun shines.His favourite warning ; don't be a beggar when you are old and useless. His Hakka notions of having a full stomach is the main driving force of his present day. Though he nags when we are careless with our finances; his frugality has ensured him of a comfortable lifestyle. There is much truth.


Even though I am not very young anymore, he treats me as though I am still the daughter that never grew a day older from my childhood days. When walking across the busy roads, he holds my hands to make sure I am safe. I thought the roles were supposed to be switched? Yes, I run home to look at him and draw strength from the decisions he makes each day. When I grow weary from the many challenges I face at work and at home; I tell myself to be strong like him. He reminds me of my Heavenly Father and His love for me. I always reckon that if my earthly father loves me in this manner; what more my Heavenly Father?
Yesterday, he asked me for a favour; to teach him to bank a cheque the electronic way. He says the bank officers are not too happy each time he approaches them for help.So I walked with him and when we arrived at the bank he was delighted that I took pain to explain to him step by step. At his age, he still needs to learn. No one can help him if he doesn't help himself. What do we learn from him? 
He took a pen and started to write the procedure so that he will be able to bank in by himself the next time.
So for 2 short days with the old folks, I am again reminded to be frugal and save.
My girls may not like to hear them; they will tell me to stop nagging.
But we cannot run away from reality.

You need to be hardworking when you are young.

2 comments: