Monday, September 10, 2012

The Mooncake

The Mooncake Festival
Popularly cherished as a festive practice, the Moon cake Festival again will be enjoyed by many Malaysians in a couple of weeks' time.Legend has it either for a hero to look for his beauty in the moon or secret messages being passed in the moon cakes to save some kingdoms from enemies of Outer China.Whatever the reason, legend or belief, the festival is here to bring families together for a time of family gathering and tea drinking camaraderie.



When I was a little girl, good old Muar was adorned with these paper lanterns along the main streets and homes. People love to take occasions for times of joy, happiness and fun. So I  also took part in lantern processions along the streets and often ran to the Hainanese Association next to my mother's shop and see the percussion band marching up and down in joyous festivity. It is easy to be happy when you are young and you are get excited at the slightest moments. How good it was then.

I remember consuming cakes packed in these cute things. The pastry is mere flour with little taste. It cost me 20cents each then. To my consternation, the price now is beyond me; I cannot bring myself to buy them anymore.They told me not to compare but I just cannot. When I do, I would rather not eat. That's the downside of knowing the past.


Today, I was given a pleasant surprise when I came home from a long day.
Little Sara is at it again.


Last evening she bought some red beans and soaked them overnight. She must have made the paste this morning.See she was already coating them with egg yolk; the final stage of the moon cake making process.

Into the oven they went.

After some 10 minutes, the cakes were browned and ready to be cooled.


Lovely, fresh and clean moon cakes for taste.
Moon cakes are expensive affairs these days.
You pay them for the elaborate packaging.
I will not pay for them.
I am fortunate that someone has baked them for me.
No preservatives.



Sara says : Mum, eat it 3 days later. 
By that time, the richness of the paste will be incorporated.
But I wait no 3 days; I cut a piece while it is hot.
Have you ever tasted hot moon cakes ? Never.
So I chose to be different .
Eat it while it is hot.
Verdict? Nice, lovely, clean and not too sweet.
But I sincerely believe it will be even better after 3 days.

Sara and her moon cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment