Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Street Food

Glorious Food
Many associate the city with mouth-watering food.
The variety is aplenty and you need a strong stomach to contain them.
Staying in China Town is perfect for the adventure.


As soon as you step out of the hotel, you are in the midst of action.
I love to be in the midst of busyness.
It takes your mind off worries and problems as you ponder and gaze around the livelihood of the local vendors.China Town here is easily 5 times the size of Petaling Street in Kuala Lumpur.
If anyone has informed you  traveling is relaxing; they are highly mistaken in this city.
Walking around is truly hard work.
You trudge for miles to sweat and then say ; it's fun! Strange but true.

Chestnuts are everywhere. It must be grown locally.

They even provide peeled ones! 
All you have to do is to open your mouth and gobble them down. 
Talk about easy life.
The Thais spoil you.

The Chinese community have a strong love for local sweets; I remember those sweets in my good old town too. Somehow food travels with ethnicity too.

Imported cherries ( I believe) are aplenty here.

The afternoon heat is pacified by these lovely fruit drinks. Lime and pomegranate juices are sold all over the place and are real thirst quenches.

 
These rice cakes are the same as those sold in my hometown and are associated with the "Teochew clan". 
It is true that many Thais of Chinese origin speak the dialect in Bangkok.
I transacted some buys using the dialect.

This plain sticky rice is sold widely here and my nephew would have given up things just to consume them!

These are vegetable concoctions found also in Malaysian night markets.


This is something new to me. I still do not not how to name the fruit. It is in the shape of bananas but I know they are not... or maybe it is a wild version of it ?


This of course is white carrot cake made delicious by adding eggs, eggs, eggs...
it reminded me of those back home.


The locals take raw salted fish, salted egg and all made safe to eat by adding ... lime. 
You are up to the challenge?
 I admit defeat.

This is a most popular appetizer; often served in restaurants before a big meal.



I stood to watch this foreigner prepare the dish under the supervision of  a local girl.
He actually did it and someone actually bought it. Throughout the evening I saw some Caucasians serving meals. What were they doing there? Working to pay for their passage?

I was amazed at the freshness of these sea creatures...prawns, crabs, cockles,shell fish...they had to be as the locals consume them raw ! Oh I seriously think my stomach cannot take it.

All of these taken raw!
The locals have strong tummies.


Fried salted fish sold freely.

Oh don't ask me what they are. I do not know. 
Bananas smoked over a small fire and the rest I fail to explain.


As you trudge along the very busy streets, you can treat yourself to a cup of casual coffee.

 Fried fish paste ( keropok) and sausages; a popular finger food.

These are the sweetest things I have seen; miniature pineapples. Small but sweet.

Not the Malaysian satay but the Thai version.




 Perhaps the greatest food attraction is when you sit along the streets of China Town and call for your food. People queue up for their turns and eat their hearts out. They get excited at the display of food and eat without qualms.

This chillie-steamed fish is sour but really palatable... we enjoyed the hot concoction but I paid it with a price. My tummy gave it and that meant ceaseless toilet moments !
 


The shells are stuffed with crab meat so, so very tasty !


After dinner, you can still try the local fried 'youtiau' served with sweet custard.
Eat them with cofeee.
It will give you a memorable evening.

The Street Food; endless in variety and taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment