Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Bazaar

 The Annual Affair
Every year at this time the Muslims go through a month of cleansing and fasting and discipline. Food is not too be consumed in daylight hours but within the stipulated period. So my Muslims friends and children in school follow a strict schedule and honour the fast.
After a day of fast, they can be treated to some goodies and Malaysia has plenty to be proud of. Strolling along the designated spots near where I stay, I get pretty thrilled at the colorful display of food. I get my spirit lifted up from the ups and downs of life just by gazing at the vendors and their creative business cues.


 The vendors set up their stores by 3pm each day.


 Do you see what I see? Assorted jellies.



 Chicken cooked by the charcoal way...so palatable.

 Yummy vegetable curry; I love the soya bean curds.

 Another variety of deep fried chicken.

 What do you call these? Call them...popiah.


 Keropok lekor ; the Terengganu way.

 Malaysian Satay only found in the style that I like !


 The famous Kelantanese Nasi Kerabu !


 Deep fried stuff; in all forms for all tastes.

 For more home cooked style; try them. If time does not permit you to cook,just buy them off the peg !

 Something new...steamed bean curd ; looks interesting and served with much creativity.


 The murtabak for the meaty people...

 Otak-otak has found its way to the hungry stomachs...


 But actually to reveal the truth; I come here looking for the curry puffs above. Every year for the past 5-6 years, during the Ramadan season I will search high and low for this particular store. I only like curry puffs from her. Look for it yourself and tell me if you would consume other versions after these.


And... after a day of fasting, these quenching liquids make your day.

Make your way to the Ramadan bazaars.
For overseas friends and students, come home.
Home, sweet home.

No comments:

Post a Comment